www.flickr.com

Monday, September 17, 2007

Windows Into Malawi...


Horray... I can post a picture!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, it seems as though the internet around here is improving a bit!

Things around here have been really intense over the last week. I have been on cultural overload hardcore. Each day, it seems as though I am bombarded with tons of new information about things around here. When I get to the end of each night, I find myself frantically trying to write down everything in my journal so I will remember it, but it seems as though I am still missing so much!

I hope to use this blog as a platform to just jot down some of my thoughts about everything I am learning about the culture and people of Malawi, and hopefully give you guys a clearer glimpse into the lives of the people here.

Until then... here are some pictures of this beautiful place I am living!


I took this picture when I was flying into the city of Blantyre. This is just an outlying village.

These purple trees are just beginning to bloom, and they look amazing! This is kind of what it looks like driving around the neighborhoods in the city. Downtown is a bit more congested than this!

This is a look at one of the 3 mountains that surround Blantyre.

This is my humble abode... It is way better than I had imagined! I am the first person to live here.

I will hopefully be posting some more stories soon. On Wednesday, I am going on a short trip across the country to a village called Mangochi. This village is on the edge of one of the lakes. I hope to upload some cool pictures from there as well.

8 comments:

D.O. said...

What a nice crib. I bet they don't call it that huh? Still, nice.

Miranda said...

Wow, it's much nicer than I expected. Hope you are meeting nice people. Take your malaria meds. Love you lots!

SaraEaker said...

WOW its beautiful! Every time I see a new place of God's creation I am just blown away with how uniquely he made each part of his earth. I love the picture of the girl you posted...she is just BEAUTIFUL!! I am so glad you have that amazing camera to capture every part of the beauty there! I am so thankful to get to see the places that you are! Praise God for the upload process being successful!!

Unknown said...

You look so good and happy in your militant picture (guns a little scary). We miss you! Have a safe trip into the village and we pray for your safe return. As Dad would say, "learn something". Can't wait to hear about your experience. We Love You! Mom and Dad

Unknown said...

Zikomo for the updates dude. I'll be checking in for sure.

Be well

Megan said...

It is beautiful Ryan! We are praying for you and for the souls of those you will be ministering to!

We are looking forward to the next update and seeing how your learning of the language is coming. We are so excited for you!

Tiza oana mayilo!

Garratts said...

Love you! Miss you! Tell us what you need!

dreamingBIGdreams said...

I just found your blog tonight.

Very curious and will continue to come back to read. I notice that we enjoy some of the same books you do. Brian McClaren, Shane Claiborne ....

:)jamie
www.dreamingbigdreams.wordpress.com