www.flickr.com

Saturday, October 13, 2007

All Over the World... People Just Like Us...

One of my very favorite things about being here in Malawi is that I work on an international team. This is also probably my favorite thing about SIM (the mission agency I am working with). SIM has 10 different sending agencies around the world! We are "intentionally international".

For some reason, in America, we seem to have this thought that we are the one's going around saving the world all by ourselves. That we are the missions hub. That everything "Christian" is born in the USA.

I have been so refreshingly surprised since I have been here! I have seen that the American way isn't always the best way of doing things... Shocking... I know! I work on a team that is comprised of 8 different nationalities. That's usually at least 8 different ways of looking at a situation.

It's challenging.

It's refining.

It's a beautiful picture of Christianity.

Some of the things that come out of my mouth are a bit foreign these days...

I say things like Tea instead of Dinner... You guys instead of y'all... Rubbish Bin instead of Trash Can.

I drink hot tea a good 2-3 times every day!

I have learned how to be hospitable. There is this cool understanding around here that pretty much any time someone walks in your house, you put on the kettle and offer them either tea or coffee or a cold drink. And it's not just some kind of polite offer that you don't expect to be taken up on... almost every time, you actually sit down, relax and share a drink with whoever it is. I love it!

So... I would like to introduce you to the chaps (my new Aussie word) that I have been running with these days...

The Richters
Hans-Joerg, Andrea, Philip, Telea, Liala and Elias

They are from Germany originally... now the reside about 10 yards from my front door! The four kids run in and out of my house with there little German accents on a very regular basis. Hans-Joerg is the administrator guy for SIM Malawi. He also oversees the medical clinics that we have in southern Malawi. Like any German... he knows how to get things done!

The Hammonds
Mike, Jackie, Joshua and Christopher

These are my Aussie buddies! Australians are a pretty fun group of people to be around ... and I love their accents!! Mike and Jackie are the project managers for the HOPE for AIDS part of SIM Malawi. So, they are pretty much my bosses. They're great though. They have such a heart for the people here in Malawi.

The Hannahs
Ryan, Heidi, Caleb, Ben and Faith

Ryan is the country director for SIM Malawi. So, he's the big dog around here. As if you couldn't tell from the photo... they're from the US. The four short-termers get to hang out with the Hannahs every Friday night for dinner and games. That's always a fun time!

The Fazakerlys
Megumi, Helen, Josh, Elizabeth and Mary

Megumi is an administrator at the Evangelical Bible College of Malawi. He is from Japan and Helen is from the UK (but grew up as a missionary kid here in Malawi). They live two doors down from me and are lots of fun!

The Youngs
Jim, Diane and kids

They live up in Lilongwe... so I haven't really got to hang out with them much apart from taking this photo! However, I will be heading to Lilongwe this month for about 3 weeks... so, I'm sure they will become new friends. They are from New Zealand. Jim is the Education (Sunday School) guy for the African Evangelical Church as a whole and Diane is a doctor in one of the clinics in Lilongwe.

Candy Getz

Candy is the Short-term Coordinator. So, she's the person that makes sure I have a water filter and place to lay my head down at night. She is from the US as well.

Cynthia Innes

Cynthia is from Canada. She is here for about the same time that I am doing communications stuff. So, basically her job is to let the rest of the world know what kinds of great things God is doing here in Malawi. What a cool job!! She has a blog too...

Margs Hall

Margs flew in the country the same day that I did. She is from New Zealand and is here for 2-1/2 months doing communications stuff as well. She claims to speak English... but half the words she uses I have to ask for a definition!!


SIM Malawi also has several other families that are part of our team. Some live in different parts of the country... they are all doing really great work here in Malawi, and I admire them so much.

Basically the point of this post is to shed some light on the fact that we aren't the only one's out there. There are people all over the world that share the same passion and vision that we do, even if they speak different language or eat their main meal in the middle of the day.

Another interesting note... SIM's Korean sending office is the fastest growing of all of the sending offices! They will soon be tailing the US office in the number of missionaries they are sending around the world... that's just awesome!

5 comments:

D.O. said...

whoa! new background!

That was a fun journey through your team. My favorite part is the picture with all the flags. I was very happy to see that US was in the front and center, just like it should be. Amen.

Ryan Price said...

ha... I didn't even notice the flag. That kinda defeats the purpose of my post... I should have found a different picture! Just kidding...

SaraEaker said...

I love the pictures of all your teammates! Hopefully I can keep them straight now when you are talking about them! Or at least have a picture in my mind about who they are. Tell them all that I am excited about the new international accent you will have...it will be a unique combo of those 8 different countries...but please, don't lose y'all, I just might not be able to communicate with you!

jaye carol said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR RYAN
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!
I Love You, Mom

Anonymous said...

Good post.