www.flickr.com

Sunday, February 17, 2008

"What's wrong with the world, mama? People livin' like they ain't got no mamas..."


There have been a few things since I've been here that have absolutely amazed me... and caused me to think.

One of those things is the sheer amount of weight that one lady can carry atop her head. But, we won't discuss that right now.

The other is the crazy power to transform societies and people that music possesses.

There are few things in this world that you can travel the world over and never escape... 1. Coca-Cola 2. Music (particularly, whatever is at the top of the charts in the States).

I have found people in the remotest of villages that will have their battery operated radio cranked to the max, jammin' out to "You're way too beautiful girl... that's why it'll never work... you have me suicidal, suicidal...". Or my personal all time favorite by Mr. Mims himself... "This is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot! I'm hot cuz I'm fly... you ain't cuz you're not!"

Sometimes I just sit there and wonder to myself... does that rapper or singer or whoever have a fat clue that people the whole world over are memorizing every word that they put forth? Do they realize that kids are singing their songs in villages in Africa, slums in India, the plains of Mongolia?

As I've thought about this, I've just been a little frustrated.

Because these pop stars are so popular around the world, you've got girls in Blantyre trying to act like Beyoncé, and guys thinking that they are Master P.

Maybe it's just me... but, of all the things that we can be exporting from America, why's it gotta be trashy songs that have already infiltrated the minds of American youth and rooted themselves in our society?

There's just something about art that can transcend all cultural lines and touch the heart... cause people to think... change mindsets.

In a time when our world is filled with so much crap... I just wish that more people would realize the power they possess at their fingertips and use it for good.

Just imagine how different societies would be if, instead of being pumped full of trash that says that "the world owes me everything", that "I'm better than everyone", or that "I can knock up a bunch of girls and not worry about stickin' around"... songs were full of messages that speak truth? Speak justice? Speak respect? Speak love (deep, committed, Biblical, sacrificial love)?

It's just funny to me... we (USA) throw a whole heck of lot of money around the world, trying to "make things better" (or so they say), yet, I submit that some of the greatest obstacles that sit in the way of "making things better" are being shipped from within the same borders (and music is just one small piece of that puzzle).

These are just a few observations... I'm not necessarily trying to start a revolution with this or anything. I'm really not even one of those people that are die-hard anti-rap music. In fact, there's just something about a lot of R&B/Rap music that just gets me going. It's great.

But, something about walking around in a village and suddenly hearing sounds from the Bronx just causes your head to turn.

The title of this post is the first line of one of my favorite R&B songs. Where Is The Love? by the Black Eyed Peas.

7 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

Wow. So true, Ryan. When you get home, start revamping the music industry. Seriously. Do it.

Heather

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

Right on, right on!

I had no clue that your peeps around Malawi were singing the same junk that infiltrates our society daily.

SaraEaker said...

As I sit in front of my computer screen and read your post, I just wish I knew nothing about what you are saying. I wish I didn't know any child that was affected by songs and lyrics. I wish I didn't know the attitudes and the midsets that these songs give kids...and give me.

I wish I knew only children with moms and dads. I wish I knew only men that would never even think of leaving their families. I wish I knew only kids that want to be humble servants, not of the attitude that the world owes them so much. But we live in a fallen world. We live in a world where kids are acting like they don't got no mamas.

I hate it. I hate sin and satan, and I wish that the tricks he used in America would just stay here...and not cross oceans.

Unknown said...

Hear hear Ryan! great post! I especially like your quote:
"In a time when our world is filled with so much crap... I just wish that more people would realize the power they possess at their fingertips and use it for good."

totally right. good on you.
Margs

Cynthia Innes said...

You want to know who has been listening to too much 'the world owes me everything' music? The guy who caused my flight from BLANTYRE to be an hour late taking off because he was flying out of DAR ES SALEEM and didn't want any other planes in the Southeast African airspace. I just can't believe that. Who does that?
Sorry, that man may lead your country. Maybe you should just file this comment in the box to the left, to the left.

Ryan Price said...

Oh man... that makes me laugh!!

You should know that when Air Force One (that's the special name of his plane) is in the air... ain't nobody gonna be in the air with it!

I can't believe they delayed your flight because of that though. Of course... if I had the choice of sharing airspace with a jet from Air Malawi (or South African... I forgot which you went with)... I would probably tell them to stay put too!

Hope things are going well for you in Zambia. Don't go chasin' massive waterfalls while you're there. You better be doing hardcore "ministry"!

jaye carol said...

I'm laughing so hard at Cynthia's post! Cynthia only Americans do these sort of things! I'm so glad he will be off the continent when I arrive, I would be less than happy to give up my airspace for my Mr. President.

So, Ryan, did President Bush solve all the problems! I have been anxious to talk to you about what has been said about his visit. See Ya Soon!