www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Practically Twins...


Pretty much identical wouldn't you say?

Today, I decided to take a walk into town. It was quite nice to be on foot rather than wheel.

As I was walking close to my house, I walked past this guy and greeted him with a "Shop, shop" (Chichewa for: "Sup?"). He kinda looked at me and smiled real big. He said, "You know Chichewa?" in an I'm impressed but a little shocked voice.

I responded, "Ehh... pong'ono" (yeah... a little).

So, we had a little conversation in Chichewa... and when we ran out of things to say in Chichewa, we switched back to English. He started telling me that he just got a job teaching French at the primary school next door to my house. He just graduated University, but jobs are hard to come by.

Then he asked me if I was from America (I guess it just must be obvious or something).

He said, "Do you know a Christian band there... the David Crowder Band?" (said in a Malawian English accent... my favorite of the accents).

I kinda chuckled and was like, "Uhh... yeah. They're awesome! In fact, they are from the same part of the States as me..."

Then he said, "I've seen you around for a while, and I always think to myself that that guy looks just like David Crowder."

Maybe it's because I'm white. Maybe it's the way I dress. It could be the goatee/soul patch resemblance. I pray that it's not because of my hair!

Nonetheless... I was thrilled to be considered in the same realm as Mr. Crowder himself!

I will smile for the rest of the day now. :)

6 comments:

Steven Narramore said...

I have always said that David Crowder is the ugliest man on earth... So, this was a really funny post for me! I dont think you a thing like him, except like you said, you are white....

jaye carol said...

To think I could be David Crowder's mother...WOW!

On a serious note...I have seen your hair look like the picture on this post. I think maybe when you did youth internship at our church. How soon we forget!

Glad to hear that you are out on the street on foot. So much to learn outside of your gate...I'm jealous.

Seize the moment!
Love Ya,
Mom

D.O. said...

when I was in China everyone told me I looked like David Beckham... which is obviously not true (though, in their defense, all the hair on my head/body was shaved at the length of a 2 guard on the clippers).

SaraEaker said...

I am just about to email David Crowder and tell him that I could date him too...

Ryan Price said...

Wow Steven... I really hope Crowder doesn't frequent my blog... he may get his feelings hurt. But, thanks for the "compliment"... I guess. Haha.

Cynthia Innes said...

this is intensely hilarious. i want someone over here to stop and tell me i look like beyonce. ohhh, i miss people who talk in the street!