www.flickr.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thread...


There is this common thread that has run through humanity from ancient times. A thread that has changed colors and styles... a thread nonetheless.

A thread that binds us with people from around the world and throughout history.

In the bottom crevice of our soul somewhere it stirs this uneasiness.

Stirs this feeling of discontentment with the way the world is.

A discontentment with society and its structures.

A thread that pulled a Samaritan guy to a screeching halt on a dusty road because he noticed something that the rest of the world didn't. While they were increasing their speed, he decreased his. And today we say he was "Good".

A thread that pulled a little lady known as Theresa out of eastern Europe and into Calcutta, India to become instead of observe. To give until it hurt... and then continue to give. To touch without rubber gloves and hand sanitizer. To live and die there. And today we call her "Saint".

I don't believe that this is in just some of us. I believe that we all want something more.

I believe in a broken society this thread has become a bit distorted.

In our Hollywood, microwave society, where everything is G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S... we appease this yearning in easier ways.

The richest among us have climbed until they can't climb any higher. At the summit they find an air that is hard to breathe. Life on the summit of our society turns out to be lonely, cold and harsh. Contentment has yet to be grasped.

Aha! The thread.

Celebrities, adorned in designer clothes that are made to look impoverished, decide to take visits to the base of the mountain... and through the tented windows of limousines they pass by.

Done... money has been given... temporary contentment has been obtained... it's back to the summit for rest and relaxation.

We in the middle, who are neither poor nor rich by our own standards, find not the time nor the energy to do anything. But, the thread is still there. Still pulling.

For the vast majority of us, that thread simply pulls us to our couches at 4:00pm every weekday to watch the rich do there thing. For a solid hour, we have the chance to watch close up, all the people we secretly want to be just like changing the world, one great cause at a time.

When the credits roll at 4:59pm, we put the kleenex back under the coffee table, sigh, and then begin cooking dinner for the night. For millions of viewers, the 4:00 hour was their time to change the world. For 24 hours, their threaded conscious has been appeased.

Welcome to America.

As poverty increasingly becomes the fad in the West, it doesn't mean that the poor are suffering less. It just means that the Jericho road is getting more and more traffic. People are still sitting congested along the sides of the road... the only difference is that the road is now paved, equipped with 4 lanes, nice wide shoulders and several rest stops.

In our discontentment up on the summit, we search for something more at the base... trying to find some part of us that was lost on the climb up.

In what we think is assisting the poor is actually nothing more than assisting ourselves.

With each picture we take of a snotty nosed child dressed in rags that we can frame and hang on the walls of the summit, we feel just a little bit better. We can enjoy the best of both worlds now... while sitting in our message chair next to the fire place at night, we just look at the photo... for a brief moment we are back at the base where true life is.

Meanwhile, the other rope that ties humanity together from ages old remains in tact right next to the thread. The rope that, despite our human efforts to shrink it or fray it loose, remains just as capable of keeping the poor ignored and stuck on the bottom and the rich happy and comfortable at the top.

The base of the mountain is not the place to come and find yourself only to return to the top with photos and video footage to pull out when the rat race feels like too much.

Make no mistake... there is much to be found at ground level. But, as the Samaritan and the Saint set in example, until you stop or even relocate, you will find nothing expect empty photos of snotty nosed children on your walls.

_______________________________________________

Derek Webb wrote a song that is really poignant about this issue...

Rich Young Ruler

poverty is so hard to see
when its only on your tv and twenty miles across town
where we're all living so good
that we moved out of Jesus neighborhood
where he's hungry and not feeling so good
from going through our trash
he says, more than just your cash and coin
I want your time, I want your voice
I want the things you just can't give me

so what must we do
here in the west we want to follow you
we speak the language and we keep all the rules
even a few we made up
come on and follow me
but sell your house, sell your SUV
sell your stocks, sell your security
and give it to the poor
what is this, hey what's the deal
I don't sleep around and I don't steal
I want the things you just can't give me

because what you do to the least of these
my brothers, you have done it to me
because I want the things you just can't give me

5 comments:

Ryan Price said...

This post came as a result of many months of pondering why poverty has become this popular thing in the West. These are just my thoughts.

As I was sitting around this weekend visiting with a friend of mine that runs an orphanage, we began discussing this idea. He told me that not too long ago, there was a team of people from the West that wanted to come out for a week or so and hang out at the orphanage and work. He had serious reason to question their motivation for coming and frankly told the co-ordinator that "Africa is not the place to come and find yourself". The lady was obviously shocked and offended by his statement... but, ended up doing some soul searching and canceled the trip.

What scares me is that I see this as a quickly growing trend. We are getting sicker and sicker of our society. Because of TV documentaries or books or even blogs like mine, we think that the answer to all our problems is to head to Africa for a week and come back a changed person. And... once again, what we are think is helping the poor is really only helping ourselves. Crazy how that trend just continues and continues.

So... that's a bit of the background of the post. There are so many things that terrify me about the way things are in our world. I find Jesus' model and approach more and more convincing, relevant and even counter culture ("Christian" culture as well) for the society we live in today.

And my process of learning continues... still a young, relatively inexperienced 23 year old.

emily said...

i have to let you know one thing.
you have one incredible girlfriend who i have come to love dearly. she is a woman of prayer, love, change, humility, joy, passion ( could go on and on)...and she has taught me much in the last couple of months

and i am so intrigued how Father has put you two together! it is so encouraging to see!

I wait eagerly to hear more of what our Mighty God is doing there, how he is moving inside of you, and the things he is communicating to your heart

i am encouraged, convicted, infused with passion--i am grateful for having the opportunity to read and learn--and to daily watch and learn from miss Sara :)

here's to Africa boy! and Africa boy's girl!

--emily

HAPPY IN NEVADA said...

Hi there! Trying to find 'blogs' that are focused on world hunger; plight, and poverty are not easy to find.

I've created a link to your blog, from my 'blog' - and an entry about what you've created.

Thank you for caring. You can visit my 'blog' - it's the one on 'charity for all'.

I'm not sure how it shows up on my profile, so the url is:

http://sweetcharityplease.blogspot.com

Continue with your good works. Diane

jaye carol said...

Umm...You continue to amaze me!

As you know I continue to struggle daily with this tug at my heart for the people in Malawi since we returned home. It is tough when you just can't figure out what to do with these emotions...how to put them into action. How to figure out what God's will is in all of the changes that have occured from our trip.

I say all of this to let you know that I appreciate your blunt honesty about the way we are in the West. I am grateful that you are challenging each one of us to quit talking about helping the poor and actually put our words into action. We can sit and bounce ideas off each other all day long, but it just doesn't get anything accomplished. It is time to just do what God's Word tells us to do. We can sip coffee and talk about it forever...nothing changes.

I think the one thing I have learned from our trip and this post, and more importantly God's Word is that we don't have to go to Africa to help the poor. I think we are just more comfortable going to Africa than our own neighborhoods. We all need to start in our own cities and truly learn what serving the poor means and then we will be ready to serve the poor abroad.

Once again a HUGE HEARTFELT THANK YOU for causing us to search our hearts and think a little deeper about this issue.

I am one proud Momma!

SaraEaker said...

Wow...great post. Hard post, but great. Thanks for including the background, it is really insightful.

I have been reading through the beatitudes for the past week. This morning I read,

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before mento be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father in heaven."
-Matthew 6:1

This verse and your comment really just challenge me to evaluate my motives for every "good" thing I do or "good" thing I say I have a passion for. Am I doing it to seek the approval or man? To satisfy the tugging thread inside of me that wants to do something "great"? Or am I doing it because God's word says to do it? Often I can't say no to the first to and yes to the last one. I wish I could.

It's hard. I think it is hard to be in the middle too because you feel the rope pulling you up and down...and you know that one step in a certain direction could pull you all the way. And if I am perfectly honest, going all the way...either way...really scares me.

p.s. I have to give a sweet shout out to my AMAZING roomate! You are so precious to me. I have loved walking and growing these past few months with you! Thanks for challenging me! Praise God for the way He changes us!