www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Swarmed on Glynn Jones Rd.


Yesterday, out of sheer boredom, I decided to take a walk into town. I have been doing this more frequently lately... perhaps the boredom is increasing in these last few weeks.

But, I just really love walking through town. I love the interaction that takes place when you walk past someone.

I have developed a route that I seem to be following... I usually make a stop by my friends that work at the curio (wooden figurine things) market...


...then I'll usually make a pass through the big Blantyre market, just for the heck of it...


...then I pop my head into the business that some friends of mine own.


It's simple... but it keeps the days lively!

As I was walking back to my house alongside one of the busier roads at the end of the day, I hear screaming in the distance. All the sudden, about 50 meters away I see this giant herd of children running towards me yelling my name... "Lioni!! Lioni!!" (Chichewa speakers have a hard time distinguishing "R" and "L"... it all sounds the same to them. So, "Ryan" just becomes "Lioni").

These were the kids that I play football (soccer) with almost every day in our back yard.

They surrounded me and grabbed the bag I was carrying out of my hand so I wouldn't have to carry anything. Two of the little ones grabbed my two free hands, and there I was... this crazy white guy walking down a busy street with all these kids attached to me!

At first I was a little embarrassed. I was kinda getting some funny looks from people. It looked a little like I was forcing these kids that I didn't know to walk with me and carry my bag. But, then I just decided that I didn't care what people thought. I DO know these kids... and I love each one of them so much. So, be what it may... I'm gonna walk down the street surrounded by 15 kids... and I'm gonna be OK with that.

When we got back to our place, we had a nice game of football... in which I realized how completely out of shape I am... But, nonetheless, my team came away with the big win!!

I just love that feeling you get when you realize that you have finally been somewhere long enough and devoted enough energy to build relationships with people, that you get swarmed on the road.

It gives me great peace as I begin to think about wrapping things up here.

1 comment:

jaye carol said...

As a Mom my heart is filled with such joy! While we were staying with you (at your house), I could not help but pray each day that the one thing you would come away with when you left Blantyre (your new home), was a love for the kids in your backyard. Those kids stole my heart! I knew it would be such a waste if you did not get out there and just love all over them, play with them, and build relationships with them. And who knows maybe get in shape along the way...LOL!

Children are such a blessing from Heaven! The Lord sent you there to plant a seed, which you have done. One day, maybe not until we get to Heaven you will see how that seed grew. What an awesome opportunity...I'm just jealous I'm not there to play with them.

I have no doubt you got some strange looks...I always felt the same way. But your time with those children is worth all the strange looks in the world. How quickly things change...not long ago they were running from you, scared, crying to their parents. God is so good!

I Love You!
Mom

P.S. Love on them for me!