www.flickr.com

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hit the Ground Running

Well... my feet are officially on American soil, but I kinda feel like I'm walking in opposite directions from the rest of the world. I mean, driving down the road still feels a bit awkward and out of place. And yesterday as I was visiting with my grandparents just talking about random things, they just stopped and looked at each other and said, "honey, what do you think about that accent our boy has?" All the while, I was thinking that I was quickly regaining my Texas drawl. Apparently not!

All in all, I'm feeling really great about seeing people again and eating food that I love. Last night, we ate shrimp and oysters, and then chased it down with root beer floats! Can you get any better than that?

The night before, we eagerly made our way into a cool Mexican food restaurant to devour the essence of all things pure. About an hour later, I burst through the front door of the place in a much different mood, and quickly made my way to the flower bed in front of my car where I upchucked every ounce of food I had just placed in my body. It was at this point that I realized I have a long road ahead. Reconditioning my body to America will be a process. I just love the irony of the fact that 9 months of living in Malawi equalled never being sick, but the first real day back in America ended with chunks of enchilada sprinkled on my sandals.

Other than that, I feel like my transition back into this world is going better than expected. Although the 5 leg flight back to Houston was long and tiresome, I managed to make it with very little problems, all my luggage and no one weighing my over sized bags! Thanks for praying!

My schedule for the next week is to be in Vidor until Wednesday and then head up to Bryan/College Station through the weekend. After that, I don't really know the specs, but I will make my way to Austin and back through Vidor and wherever else I can manage. So, I want to see you!

4 comments:

SaraEaker said...

This morning when I went to turn on my computer at 7:10, my inbox had not message from you. Though this would make me slightly sad on a morning in the past nine months...today it made me smile. I am so glad to have you home and see your name on my phone rather than in my email inbox.

Thanks for a great weekend, even admist you throwing up, there was no place in the world I would have rather been!

Carpio Family said...

Dude it is awesome to know you are home! Easton has prayed every night that you would not get ate by a lion in africa so he was excited to know you are home also. We can't wait to see you and hopefully you won't upchuck our food but if you do it is all good. That is weird that in africa you did not get sick but as soon as you eat good packed with grease and a heartattack on the side mexican food you can't hold it down. You should try some food from McDonalds or even better Taco Bell and see what that does. Well can't wait to see you!!!!

Carlos

Anonymous said...

I cant beleive that you are finally HOME!!!!!!
I think that aunt jaye is SOOOOOO happy to have you come home.I want to hear about life in africa maybe when i go there over the summer!
I hope that you are happy to be home!!
your cousion,
*Kendall*

Cynthia Innes said...

hahahahahhahaa.
that's awesome that you puked.
almost as awesome as that totally vain profile pic of you i just noticed. and to think you judge people who sit at the computer and take pictures of themselves. hypocr-cough.
we took a vote and we mostly miss you.