www.flickr.com

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Chapananga...

The beginning of the end has officially begun for me. In a week and a half I'll be bidding farewell to the beautiful Malawi. So, this week I had my last visit to one of our Home-Based Care sites in the rural areas.

Chapananga is one of my favorite sites. It's not really because it's pretty or the accommodation is nice... it's quite the opposite. We rent out a little house there for 400MK ($2.85) a month for us to stay in when we go down. On this trip, I decided that I would just go all out and travel like a Malawian. Basically, I just packed a shirt to change in to for the next day and a pillow. I slept on a reed mat on the floor with just a sheet. I even decided to forgo the mosquito net (I can say those things now, because I'm about to leave and can't really get in trouble)!

But, the reason I love Chapananga so much is the people there. I don't know what it is about them, but I just really click with them. I love to try out my Chichewa skills when I go down there. I love to joke with the older guys about things. I love to see the hope and vision of the younger ones. They're just a cool group!

One of the perks of the sleep over was being able to watch a group do a drama based on one of the peer education sessions that a friend and myself wrote. It was really great too! They did such an awesome job. It gave me such hope and excitement that there was such talent and motivation in such a rural setting. I believe they really will be able to make a difference.

I left there feeling really good about my time in Malawi. It was a really awesome thing to listen to them praying as we were leaving and catching a few lines in Chichewa about asking God to be with "Lioni" (me) on my journey back to America.

It is definitely a weird feeling to know that most likely, I will never see those people again. But, God is developing a really cool peace in my heart about all of it.

Chapananga Home-Based Care Volunteers...
(sporting their band new t-shirts!)


Home-Based Care visit in Chapananga

5 comments:

jaye carol said...

It is amazing to look at these pictures and actually recognize some of the people.

I'm so glad you got to go back to Chapananga before you return to the States. I know you were excited to see the youth use the Peer Education program that you have worked so hard on. That is cool!

What is not cool...Ryan Howard Price sleeping without a mosquito net in the village! I thought it was interesting you failed to mention that on the phone today. I guess you did not want to ruin my Mothers Day! Use you BRAIN!!!!!

Hopefully the drive was beautiful on your way back home. That is an awesome drive!

Try not to do too many stupid things in the next 10 days...it would be ashamed to return home sick!

Love,
Mom

SaraEaker said...

WOW! That must have been really sweet to see what you wrote produced! I am so glad that God gave you that gift, to show you a part of what He used you for in Malawi! I can't wait to see you! 13 days!

Ryan Price said...

I forgot to mention about the mosquito net that I did not even hear as much as a sound of a mosquito! So, there is no reason to be alarmed...

Anonymous said...

Ok, I can't resist, I'm your boss and you are in trouble for not using your mosquito net! You know better - even your Mom says you know better! Don't worry Jaye, I'll sit him down and give him a talking to!

Heidi

jaye carol said...

I Love You Heidi!!!!!

Thanks for being his substitute Mom...he needs one. You may want to watch him extra close, with his last few days approaching he may try to pull a fast one. LOL!

He is going to miss you Heidi!

Jaye