www.flickr.com

Monday, May 12, 2008

Pastors' Book Set Conference


This afternoon I found myself sitting on the back row of a large church filled with pastors from around the area with this cool feeling deep down inside me.

Today we launched the first of four major conferences called the Pastors' Book Set in Malawi.

Basically, SIM found a way to get together a collection of over 60 books that would be helpful for pastors and buy them at cost or less. Then, we raised some money for this massive project and have asked pastors to contribute $75 to attend this 5 day conference and walk away at the end of the week with this amazing collection of books valued at several hundred dollars.

As I arrived at the venue early this morning to help with registration, the line of pastors was already getting long. There was excitement among each one of them. As I hung out there all day and was able to mingle around a bit, I realized for the first time how great this thing that we had been planning for months and months really is.

Just before leaving to come back to Blantyre this afternoon, as I was sitting on the back row of the church, looking over row after row of heads eagerly soaking up all that the speaker was saying about developing a passion about proclaiming the Word of God, I just felt this cool rush come over me.

One of the things that has been on my heart most while living here in Malawi and experiencing life here is that there is a huge need for good discipleship. There are a ton of "Christians", but few people that truly know what it means to follow Christ fully... that even goes for "pastors".

But, I was able to sit there on that back row, confident that for the next five days, this room full of leaders would hear truth... and they were soaking it up. Even more encouraging than that was the fact that the majority of the speakers were from within Malawi... and what little I heard thoroughly impressed me.

It gave me great hope. A renewed hope that God is still working powerfully in Malawi. His work here has very little to do with me or my contributions. He is at work in bringing every person to glorify His name... and there is a room full of people right now that are extremely eager to do that.

Please pray for these conferences. From now until the end of June, we will have four different conferences in different parts of Malawi, with the potential for 2000 pastors to attend. Pray that these Pastors would hear truth and apply it to their lives. Pray against schemes of the enemy to stop these from happening. Pray that these would be more than simply "conferences" where people leave with a bag full of books. Pray for discipleship in Malawi.

3 comments:

jaye carol said...

I'm grateful that before you leave, the Lord allowed you to get a glimpse of the amazing ways He is going to move in the hearts of the Malawians.

That is a huge blessing...when you leave Malawi, you leave knowing they have been empowered by the words they have heard and the books they will bring back with them.

God is so faithful and good to us!

SaraEaker said...

Hope from Malawi...great blog title...and this post fits that perfectly. I know it is so discouraging when you feel like problems are so complex and there is so many problems that you cannot fathom solving them. I know I have felt that on and off this year. I am so thankful when God shows me a piece of His work. I feel humbled knowing that because it is not about me, He does not owe me this display of His work. But God in His great mercy continues to bless us by making His name known among us. Thanks for sharing this hope.

Unknown said...

Great to hear about this Ryan and how it's come to fruition after months of planning. Where's Cynthia got to?! give her a prod under the table as keen to hear her news. all the very best with the next chapter for you. Your goodbyes from Malawi and transition into life back home. All the best.
Margs