www.flickr.com

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Where Have I Been?!?


I'm sitting here wishing the wings on Sara's airplane would have fallen off right before she got on.

I just dropped her off at the airport a few hours ago, because she has been here visiting me for the last 2 weeks. This is the reason I haven't really posted much in that time.

We had such an amazing time together, and we were both so thankful that God made her a way to come and see what I am experiencing with not just her ears on the phone, but with her eyes in person.

We packed the time full with stuff to give her the full Malawian experience as much as you can in 2 weeks. I was lucky in that I was able to take a little time off of work and travel a bit, and she was able to do some of the work along side me as well.

Here's a brief rundown of what's been happening in my life for the last 2 weeks...

First crack out of the bag, we got all dressed up and went to a birthday party for a Malawian friend of mine. It was a really fun time to see a different side of Malawian culture that rarely gets publicity. I think Sara was a bit afraid that she wasn't going to experience anything truly "Malawian" in her stay here after this party... it was quite a snapshot from the West.

The next morning, we took a little day trip to the tallest mountain between South Africa and Kenya or somewhere, Mount Mulanje. It was so incredible! The hour long drive to the mountain from where I live is one of the most beautiful drives in Malawi. You drive right through the area of Malawi where all the tea plantations are. Considering we are now in rainy season, there were rolling hills for miles with some of the most beautiful lush crops you could imagine.

While at the mountain, we hiked up to this really nice waterfall and I decided I would jump in the really cold water and swim around a bit. It was quite invigorating!

Later that week, I arranged for Sara to go out with me and one of the Malawian guys that I work with to one of the villages in the south of Malawi where we do Home-Based Care. This village is way in the middle of nowhere along the Mozambique border.

The drive down to that part of the country is one of my favorites though. Coming out of the mountains where I live, you get some of the most incredible views!

After driving for a few hours, I suddenly noticed a strong hissing noise coming from behind me... so, I brought the Pajero to a quick stop and realized that not 1, but BOTH, of the back tires had simultaneously exhaled on me!

At this point, I knew we were going to be in for an interesting two days! After several hours of sitting in the car playing card games while someone goes to the nearest village on foot to fix one of our tires, we were on our way.

Sara was definitely able to get a taste of village life on this trip. It was also really good for her to be able to see some of what I am doing around here. She was able to go around with our amazing volunteers and visit with patients that we see weekly.

But... I think we were both ready to get back to running water and good cooking!

With only about a day of rest from traveling, we loaded up the truck once more with two other friends and headed to Lake Malawi!

The lake is so beautiful!

We spent two nights camping on the beach at a place that makes pottery. So, when we weren't swimming or reading on the beach, we were in the workshop painting our own pottery!

This trip allowed us to see a lot of the country as we drove to the lake as well.

Between all the side trips, we spent plenty of time sitting around and talking about the deep things of life and just enjoying each others company.

It was really sad to have to sit on the roof of the airport and watch her plane fly up, up and away from me. But, I am really happy that we were able to do so much while she was here.

I know that she was able to learn so much while she was here, and it really helped me to have someone to bounce my thoughts off of about everything that I am experiencing.

I will miss you!

5 comments:

jaye carol said...

THANK YOU LORD!!!! This is the greatest Christmas gift I have ever received! I Love You Ryan sooo much and would give anything to have a Ryan hug at this very moment. I'll be forever grateful the Lord made this trip possible. Treasure your memories of this trip and it will get you through the next 5 months.
I Love You,
Mom

Carpio Family said...

Yea! i'm so glad you had such a good two weeks. I know we ( he hope group) were so excited to hear about how she would be able to go. The picture of the lake is beautiful!

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Praise the Lord that He allowed this wonderful time and that you both got to share and experience so much.
Wonderful pictures!!!

5 Chicks and a Farmer said...

How fun! Looks like you guys had a blast and have some groovy pics to go with it. I love the mountain image. I am a bit sad there aren't any of you in the waterfall. I'm a sucker for waterfalls!

Lyns

SaraEaker said...

What a priceless gift I was given this past two weeks. Who can put a price on understanding this place where God is using you? Who can even explain the worth of meeting the people you love and see the country that has taken your heart? I can never express my extreme gratefulness for this time with you. I loved every minute of my time in Malawi. I loved the beautiful creation that God has placed there. I love the people that he is wooing there. I pray that I would be on my knees for this place constantly and that pictures would never leave my mind. I miss you so much, but I know that God has blessed me so much through this trip!

This morning I had pancakes in the 16th hour of my 18 hour flight...let me just tell you I almost cried because they were horrible and it made me miss your banana pancakes!! I think they should hire you to work for South african Airlines...that way you could stop and see me a lot more!! just kidding, you got to (in the words of Ashton) "finish that stuff in Africa!"